Sunday, September 29, 2019

A Bit of Progress - Pun Intended (September 4th)

Look who is falling asleep at the hitching post?
I regret not writing these posts immediately after the day they happened, because I know I'm forgetting little victories. At least I have the pictures to remind me of some of them - like how calm she is standing tied now!





I bought a cute fly bonnet for her and I love it! It's a little big on her, but it doesn't hurt anything. Of course we had to practice wearing a bridle. Fly bonnets don't look right without a bridle. Avalon was really good for not wearing a bit in months. We spent a long time, maybe half an hour, practicing bridling and unbridling. I'm taking it really slow so she doesn't form any bad habits like head tossing. I would hold the bridle up and ask her to lower her head, then I would take four or five steps away.  Ask her to keep her head down and open her mouth, then I back up. Ask her to take the bit, release it, then I take a few steps back. Rinse and repeat. When I took the bridle off the last time, I had to sit and wait for her to drop the bit. She didn't want to let go of it. 


Avalon in her western getup. The saddle still doesn't fit wonderfully, but I'm switching up saddle pads to avoid as much discomfort as possible. In a year or two I'll start looking for a more permanent solution. 

I love seeing her exhibit curiosity.
We are still taking our walks down the driveway and road.
Garbage cans aren't so scary anymore.
I know the fly bonnet should be under her bridle, but since we are working on bridling, it was easiest to throw it on afterward.


I love this mare so much!

4 comments: