Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Discouragement


I had a different post planned for today. However, I think there is power in authenticity; in breaking down the facade of perfect so easily built through social media. 

I made a promise to myself to really try this horse training thing. I've been half-trying out of fear that I won't be able to do it. I do this in many areas of my life. As long as I don't try my hardest, I have an excuse for failing. If I actually try my hardest and fail . . . no excuse. I would have to admit I'm not good enough. This isn't healthy at all, failure isn't a reflection of personal worth, it is just a rung on the ladder of growth. 

I made this realization by listening to The Perfectionist Project by Sam Laura Brown. I absolutely recommend her blog and podcasts if you are a perfectionist and struggle with procrastination. But back to the equestrian content. 

I made a commitment to myself to regularly go to the barn this week, because I've been using a lack of motivation as an excuse to avoid really trying to succeed at training Avalon. 


True to my word, I dragged myself out to the barn. I had a plan (word of advice: never fall in love with your plans, because you have no idea what God has in store for the day). I lugged my equipment out to the arena. I traipsed through the long pasture grass.

I was expecting Ava to be a little spooky, since it was a windy day. All the Arabians I know are extra spooky in the wind. It impacts horse's ability to hear, which makes them vulnerable as prey animals. 

Watching the horses.
Avalon was a little spookier than normal, but mostly we were not on the same page. She is more herd bound than she was before and I may or may not have accidentally taught her to rear at barrels . . . oops. I have a bad habit of freezing to reevaluate when she rears which turns into an inadvertent release of pressure. 

As I led her back to the pasture she completely disconnected with me, running around, blowing me off, even barreling into my personal space. I would have liked to find a place to tie her away from herd until she calmed down, but I don't have a good place to do that. I had to let her go because I was going to be late to work. 

I left the barn feeling discouraged. Immediately my mind went to "you're not good enough" "you're making her worse" "she doesn't trust you". But I took a few deep breaths and reminded myself bad days are part of the horse world, of any world. I am working with a living creature that has choices and emotions. She isn't a little machine. As someone on Instagram reminded me: tomorrow is a new day.

If you're hitting a rough patch, whether that is a day or month or even longer. It's okay. It doesn't reflect on you as a person. You aren't alone. If you feel comfortable, comment below. I've found that the blogging community is full of helpful, kind advice. 

If things are going well with your horse, when was the last time you felt like you ran straight into a wall? Comment below and join in encouraging each other!

11 comments:

  1. It's funny how best laid plans always seem to go awry! Years ago I changed tack and started going to the barn with a suite of goals for the day. I would just pick the one that suited the horse's mood the best. Sometimes it would be a hybrid of one or several of my goals. Once I started consistently being flexible in that way, training progress seemed to skyrocket. I still had "bad" days, but they never seemed so bad. Funny what adjusting one's expectations does.

    As for last day that felt like running straight into a wall? Ehh, I'm happy to honestly say I haven't had too many in recent months, but I also haven't been pushing too hard with new things! Since adjusting my mindset around everything and not beating up on myself mentally, even the hard days don't seem so bad.

    That said, both Griffin and Q have showed up to work completely NOT on board with me many times. I end up having to change my expectations to be much more elementary to meet them in a better place. Instead of hoping for relaxation and proper bend for the majority of the ride, I end up trying to gain only relaxation for a few strides. I'll reward it, repeat it 2-3 times, then call it a day before another argument arises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely learned to be more flexible with Avalon. It doesn't come easy for me, but I'll learn. It's good to know that someday these days can be fewer and farther between.

      Delete
  2. I have hit so many walls that I think of myself as that Kool aid jug guy (you know the one who used to burst through walls?).

    Like Liz, I will find a good spot and let it go. The biggest thing for me was not drilling for perfection. I have found that if we are struggling and I stop at a good try/close enough, the next time out she's far more likely to be successful.

    In terms of the invasion of space I have found that the leading exercise is the best cure for that- making sure they maintain the same space no matter what. Here's a video explaining it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq1LXFlq78M&t=404s

    A wall is a spot to stop and re-evaluate what is happening and how to help the horse understand what is being asked of it. An important thing for me to learn was to drop the thought 'horse, could you just ____' that never helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out. I agree that hitting a wall is a good time to reevaluate. Honestly, my best guess is that I haven't been consistent enough for her lately.

      Delete
  3. sorry you've felt discouraged lately. fwiw horse training isn't a pass / fail thing, ya know what i mean? as george morris said, it's water over a stone - a slow, infinitely progressive process of forming and shaping over weeks, months, years, etc. the important thing for us to remember is not letting perfection be the enemy of good, and to also never be afraid to ask for help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very good advice! Perfection is something I desperately need to let go of.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged. I have similar days with my youngster. I know horses in general have good or bad days just like us, but I feel like having a baby horse is a whole new level of needing to adapt and not follow a linear plan :) Right now I feel like I've been kind of just holding my ground as she tests out all her options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby horses are almost a mental exercise sometimes. I love it, but it pushes you grow as a person as well as an equestrian.

      Delete
  5. I ran into a wall many times. The last big one was probably Tumbleweed rearing, and I knew I had to stop and think it through so I didn't make matters worse. It is 100% gone, but the stopping/balking/rearing can take many forms--presently, it's slowing down and not keeping my pace. So, when I really hit a wall, I get a trainer involved to give me an extra set of eyes. I cannot stress enough how much a GOOD trainer can help you over a hump. I had a lesson today and learned so much!! Little things that are really BIG things. And, in fact, it was on the very things you mentioned having an issue with. We were at a big barn, lots of noise--and Tweed has never been away from home, except to the vet. I was having difficulty getting his attention, too. The lesson cured that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my greatest hurdles is not having good access to a trainer. I have spoken to one trainer in the area that was recommended to me, but sadly at the moment I don't have a way to get regular lessons.

      Delete
    2. Well, the blogging community is also very helpful. And sometimes the walls lead to great epiphanies. Keep working it, and it will all turn out good!

      Delete