Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Asking Questions


Avalon and I have been practicing maintaining gait in the round pen. I ask her to trot and then stand completely still in the center of the arena. I allow her to go as slow or fast as she wants as long as she stays trotting. If she breaks gait, I let her come all the way down to a walk and then send her back into a trot. As soon as she trots farther than where she broke gait, I ask her to come into the circle and rest. She is picking it up so fast!

I love the aesthetic of grey horses against a grey sky.
I also spent time asking questions. I removed the halter and lead rope and walked away from Avalon. After a moment, I slowly walked toward her. But when I got close, I acted as if she was a feral horse that had never been touched. If she made any move to avoid or block me, I backed away. I didn't touch her until she reached out and touched me. I asked her for permission to approach. 


I repeated that exercise a few times and then added the halter into the equation. I placed the halter in front of her muzzle and waited until she reached her muzzle into it to put it on. If she moved away I backed off for a few moments, then presented her with the halter again. I asked permission to halter her. 


She was so confused! I guess I don't ask her for input often enough. Once she figured out what we were doing, she started following me around the round pen whenever I walked away. 


After our session, I led her back to the herd. On the way, we encountered a little dirt/manure pile. I asked her to climb it with me. She didn't like the idea too much, but she did put her front hooves in on a loose lead. 


2 comments:

  1. Yes, that kind of tuning in goes a long with a horse. I should do the same with Leah, my “broke” horse. Lol.

    ReplyDelete