Thursday, October 3, 2019

Small Victories (September 9th)



This particular rainy day, I arrived at the barn with no expectations. The weather wasn't ideal, I wasn't in a good mood, and the horses were distracted. Writing this post nearly a month later, there are many things I don't remember.

I do remember small victories.

1) Avalon walked with me away from the herd during a storm (she gets spookier during storms).
2) When Ava was afraid, she balked instead of running around, rearing, and/or bucking. Some people might not prefer this behavior. But to me, an Arabian who chooses to stand and look instead of run is using her mind.

It was merely one short, unexciting session in the rain.

The kind of day that forms the relationship I want to have with my horse.

2 comments:

  1. As the weather gets worse, our sessions draw shorter. But every success is to be celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. There is only so much I can do in the winter...especially when it's -50 degrees Fahrenheit.

      Delete