Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Summer Thunderstorms


As summer dissipates into fall, the weather in western Wisconsin shifts dramatically. Summer was stormy this year. The agriculture in the area is suffering from all of the rain. However, as the temperature cools and the winds pick up, storm activity is increasing even more. This means that most days I don't have a dry, sheltered place to train Avalon.


This particular day, the weather was fluctuating between sunshine and thunderstorm. Within the hour it would change back and forth again. By standing in the right spot, you could witness both at the same time.



Usually, I would use this as an excuse to avoid driving to the barn, but I have a goal - visit the barn more often than not. As I arrived the rain was just beginning to pour. The thunder was loud; the lightning close. I grabbed my rain coat and jogged across the pasture muttering "Don't get struck by lighting. Don't get struck by lighting." under my breath. I found all the horses huddled under the treeline. 


It was a magical experience, listening to the wind and rain and thunder. The horses were surprisingly peaceful, just waiting for the storm to pass. I got a short video on my phone, but obviously the sound of the wind was much more pleasant in person. 



Only a few short minutes later, it was over and the sun had returned. After the stillness of the storm, I didn't feel like training. Instead, I detangled Avalon's mane and tail.

Now just imagine that dirty red was white. . . 

Notice the raincoat tossed over her back. 
This has to be one of my favorite horsey moments of all time.

2 comments: