Saturday, June 22, 2019

Today We're English


Get yourself a horse that can do both (or one that can't do either but dresses the part).


I can't ride in this saddle at the moment, because one of the billets is broken, but it fits Ava well. I will fix it at some point, but for now it's a great desensitization saddle. 

Ava has gotten really good at grazing with a lead rope. When she steps on it she backs away from pressure. Apparently she doesn't mind ropes on her face either. 


Notice how relaxed she is in the arena!


Avalon has been much more relaxed in the arena. Partially because it is summer and she mellows out in the summer, but I think that taking time to slow down and connect helps as well. I set up a couple of ground poles to encourage her to lower her head and pick up her feet.

I love to see her trotting with a lowered, relaxed head.
Spicing up the circling game with barrels
Trot poles to build awareness and topline.
Avoiding the trot poles
An artsy phone taken by accident. It shows the complicated reality of lunging while taking photos.
Sweaty girl
Mostly even sweat marks.
A weird sweatless spot in between the saddle and the girth.


I'm hoping to get some ground driving in soon with the long lines and western saddle.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much about saddle fitting. I tend to build up with pads and blankets because their backs are constantly changing. I prefer a western saddle, but all my horses prefer english. I do think english saddles are superior in many ways--for horse comfort--and for rider safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am most familiar with english saddles, since I took dressage and jumping lessons growing up. However, I took a reining class last semester in college, so now I'm pretty comfortable in both.

      Delete