Sunday, December 30, 2018

Generic New Year Goals Post

because goals are underrated.

Isn't she gorgeous? I'm so thankful for this filly. <3
It's 2019 already (technically not yet, I know, but almost). 2018 started with the death of Gambler. That may seem incorrect since Gambler died in September of 2017, but during the New Year his death was still fresh on my mind. My New Year's resolution was to take more risks, in honor of Gamby. 

An old photo of the Gambster.
Ava is one of those risks. I purchased my second horse as a birthday gift to myself on May 15th, 2018. Ironic since I brought Gambler home in May. Avalon's training progressed quickly since I am more experienced than I once was. It helped that she came to me with better manners than Gambler had when I first got him. 

Winter colors really her!

Concise overview of things Ava has learned so far:
*to back up from light pressure
*to change directions while lunging without sass
*to lead more politely
*to yield the hindquarters immediately (she came to me knowing this skill, but liked to take her precious time responding)
*to yield the forequarters (an accomplishment with a dominant equine)

A few other highlights:
*introduced ground driving
*introduced ground poles
*introduced transitions between gaits
*introduced rider (roughly five 2-5 minute rides)


On to the goals.

1st Quarter Goals (January, February, March):
*Find a saddle to start Avalon in
*Start regular groundwork again (when the weather changes)
*Continue messing around and bonding 

January Goals:
*Get to the barn regularly 
*Try all the saddles I currently have on Avalon
*Keep plugging away at the warm up exercises
*Play with some desensitizing (weather permitting)

If, and this is a big if, we get a deep fluffy snow that isn't slippery, I'll put a couple more rides on Avalon. However, at the moment the ground is either mud bog or ice skating rink. 

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best along your 2019 journey =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with the saddle shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always a challenge to find a well fitting saddle.

      Delete