Friday, March 6, 2020

Update

The snow melted enough to open the gate and explore.
Avalon and I haven't spent much time training over the last few months. The snow piled up, locking the gates shut. The cold motivated me to stay indoors. However, spring seems to have arrived early this year (we will see if it lasts). The beautiful warm weather is perfect to start training again.
Avalon forgot how to pose I guess. 
I loved the way that Avalon retains her training. Even after months with little to no contact, she picks up right where we left off. No extensive refreshers needed here! We spent some time exploring the snowy world outside of the pasture. To Ava, we might as well be miles away from home. The piles of melting snow transform the barnyard into an entirely unfamiliar environment - perfect for building trust. 

I love this body language. Her head is low, eyes pricked forward. I would like to see one ear on me and a looser lip, but that will come with time. 
Over the last few weeks we have practiced our basic groundwork and long lining. I have my bareback pad for long longing since the saddles don't fit well. It appears to make the cues harder for Ava to interpret. In a saddle the long reins pull straight back on her halter through the stirrups and toward my hands. In a bareback pad, the reins move up toward the withers and then back to my hands. I'll explain this better when I have photos. 

Curious pony needs to put her mouth on everything.
I mentioned a few months ago that I'm taking several classes on training and behavior this semester. As I'm learning more and more about reinforcement, punishment, the principles of behavior, and motivation I'm excited to try them out on my favorite guinea pig: my horse.

2 comments:

  1. Fun plan! I can't believe how much snow you still have, though. Yikes! I haven't seen any white stuff for about a month, and I don't miss it. I think Avalon is probably very happy to start learning with you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday it was 60 degrees Fahrenheit, so there is a lot less snow!

      Delete