Saturday, November 23, 2019

Leaves for Dessert (Oct. 18)


I love my horse so much. Yesterday, I was thinking about all the years I spent longing for my own horse. Coveting other people's horses. Bitterly judging them for taking their pets for granted. Thankfully, I realized how sinful and self-destructive that was and started practicing thankfulness and compassion instead. But now, looking back on those years of wishing and dreaming of my own horse, I'm filled with so much joy! I have so many ambitions for Avalon and I, but if we never get past groundwork in the pasture I will be content. I'm overjoyed just to have a horse to take walks with. 


That said, this filly is a pain in the butt. On this particular day, I drove out to the barn to find Avalon chasing down all the maple leaves that blew into the pasture. Notice - there aren't any maple trees in the pasture. She was eating all the leaves from a tree several feet away. You can see it to the left of the trailer in the above picture. Some maple leaves are poisonous, some aren't. I don't think she was ever in any danger, because she would have to eat about two pounds of leaves to die, but I wasn't about to take any chances. Did I mention that there was hay in the pasture? Plenty of hay. I guess the slow feed hay net was too much of a hassle. 

Lookit my cute lil car in the background. I miss it so much. 
Now miss sassy pants is getting grain every day. I don't usually grain her because she is an easy keeper. Also, when she gets grain the sassy factor goes waaaaaaaay up. Flash forward to when I visited the barn yesterday and she galloped in circles for five minutes. Sigh. Whatever it takes to dissuade Avalon from eating potentially poisonous leafies.

4 comments:

  1. I swear that horses spend a large part of their life trying to die. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my co-workers told me that he thought horses were stupid because they were so fragile. He thought I would be angry, but I just laughed and agreed with him.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! That’s a tough one. She almost sounds like a puppy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes she acts a lot like a puppy! She loves to follow people around and put things in her mouth out of curiosity.

      Delete