Tuesday, November 5, 2019

10 Questions For October

These are a little late, but I think you'll enjoy them nonetheless. I first encountered these questions on Alanna's blog Pony Express, where I followed them to Viva Carlos. I don't know why I wasn't following L. Williams' blog before, I know I used to read it. If you like the horse blog scene for the horses (translate: you aren't just reading this just because you're my friends or family), you should really check them both out. Without further ado, here are my answers to this year's 10 questions.

1. What discipline do you ride? What would you ride if you could pick any other one?

Honestly, I don't know the answer to this question. I took dressage, jumping, and x-country lessons in pony club (mostly dressage). I have trail ridden in western tack. I took an advanced horsemanship class last semester where I learned reining. In total, I have a western saddle (which I am currently using) and three english saddles. To top it all off, I haven't ridden since May. So . . .I ride whatever discipline offers me an opportunity. I would love to compete in a lot of different disciplines once, but I don't know if I'll ever find one to settle down with.


2. How many horses have you ridden in your entire riding career?

Oh boi. That is a question. To list them: Koy, Merrylegs, Zipporah, Mars, Sampson, Prancer, Babe, Autumn, Moses, Jamaica, Dan, Omine, Jack, Sierra, Rosie, Princess, Promise, Tango, Vinyassa, Cadence, Topaz, Spring, Montana, Cali, Desi, a buckskin whose name I have forgotten, Donnie, Domino, a very green mare whose name I have forgotten, Cowboy, horse and pony rides I barely remember from fairs as a child, Polly, Skip, a number of other lesson horses from advanced horsemanship whose names I never learned, Gambler, Avalon, a gaming pony whose name I have forgotten, another Dan, a number of camp horses whose names I have forgotten, Blaze, and I'm sure there are others that I have forgotten at the moment.

This picture is from my first riding lesson ever. The mare's name was Zipporah, or Zippo.
If you open up the question to horses I have trained (not fully trained, but spent a session or two of groundwork), there are even more. I've been able to interact with many horses from a variety of breeds, personalities, and training levels: one of the perks of not having your own horse for a long time.

I adored this herd of horses. Sadly they have all died or been rehomed since.
3. Most bizarre activity you’ve done with your horse/a horse?

Bizarre is in the eyes of the beholder. I do things that many people who aren’t familiar with horses would find odd. For instance, I do a lot of strange things to desensitize horses. I’ll run, do jumping jacks; bring balloons and pool noodles and bags to the barn.

  
Some horse people might think the things I do differently are odd. I have been criticized countless times for being too easy on horses I train. Usually they say something like, “You're letting the horse push you around.” For the record, I do not let my horses push me around. My horses know exactly how close to me they may get. They do not bite or kick me without being “bitten or kicked” in return. I am not afraid to physically hit a horse, but I save those corrections for issues of safety.


There is a difference between smacking a horse on the rump with whip when it kicks toward your face and hitting a horse in the chest with a whip because it didn’t back up fast enough. If you go from 0 to 100 when teaching your horse to move away, you will have to go to 100 every time you want that horse to move. I like to go through the stages of 1,2,3,4,5, and so on. To outsiders, this looks like I’m just repeating myself while my horse ignores me. Pretty bizarre! But in six months, my horse will be backing from 1 and their horse will still be backing from 100.

4. Do you consider riding to be your outlet? If yes, why?

I don’t ride much these days, but horses are my outlet. In order to ride and train well, you must learn to dwell in the moment. Horses are never wondering about tomorrow or contemplating yesterday. Every time I head to the barn, I get to immerse myself in the right now. It’s refreshing.


5. Have you ever read horse-related magazines? If yes, which one(s)?

Yes! I read Young Rider when I was. . . a young rider. I won my cinch and pink helmet from that magazine. I also have read Equus, Horse & Rider, and the seasonal USEF magazine.

6. Most memorable advice given to you?

This one is hard, because I have gotten so much advice. Most of it has been archived in a brain space labeled “miscellaneous horse wisdom”. However, the best advice that I have . . . absorbed from different sources is the horse always has a reason. Horses are unpredictable, yes, but that is only because us humans suck and realizing why they do what they do.

7. Did you ever collect Breyer horse models or similar?

I collected a few Breyer horse models, but I preferred the smaller, hardier Schleich models from Fleet Farm.

Image result for schleich horses

8. Favorite “celebrity” horse?

My favorite “celebrity” horse is Teddy O’Connor. If you don’t know who that is . . . I’m disappointed in you. As for “celebrity” horses that are still alive, I love Elisa Wallace’s Hwin. I’ve also been fascinated with Sam Vanfleet’s current Player’s Choice Mustang Makeover mare, Roulette. YouTube horses count as celebrities, right?

9. If you could spend a day learning from any horse person (past or present) who would you choose?

This question is entirely unfair. How am I supposed to choose just one? I am entirely fascinated with Warwick Schiller’s training methods. A lesson with Elisa Wallace would be fantastic. I’ve just started looking at the TRT method as well. If I did have to choose just one, it would have to be Pat Parelli. People have their issues with the Parelli program, personally I have broadened my horizons to other trainers, but Pat Parelli himself is a true horseman and I feel like I could learn so much from him.

10. If you could ride in any international arena in the world, where would you choose?

International arenas aren’t on my radar at the moment. I’m more concerned with the here and now with Avalon. However, if I was ever at a level of riding and training that landed me overseas, I don’t think I would care where I was. The honor of traveling for something I love would be enough for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Great answers, I particularly relate to #4, although, I do ride a lot. I have a couple horses who are never ridden, and I enjoy them just as much. I think you introduced me to Warwick Schiller, and I love his philosophy. Also, smaller steps--1,2,3,4,etc rather than 1 to 100. However, once I know they know it, and then they give me a super defiant NO--they might get to 100 quicker--just so they understand that I understand what they're doing--hopefully, making the rest of the asks less dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely implement 1 to 100 later on in the process to refine certain cues, especially if a horse is purposefully moving as slowly as possible.

      Delete