Friday, September 25, 2020

September 25

 I woke this morning and recognized the date. September 25th, the third anniversary of Gambler's death. I searched through my phone for the perfect photo. Why is it that I feel the need to post my heartbreak to social media? Validation? Habit? Endorphins? A yearly memorial post, the modern expression of flower petals floating in a body of water. A shout into the void. A call to remember. A promise to keep feeling the joy and the pain, to keep learning the lesson. As I scrolled through the old photos, I remembered that for a long time, I couldn't look back. The loss was too fresh. Now I can remember with thankfulness for the relationship we had and all the things I learned. I learned so much from that little horse.

Our story is still up on myhorsehoudini.blogspot.com
























2 comments:

  1. The anniversaries are hard. I love thst you are in a place where you can hold the memories even with the pain.

    ReplyDelete