Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Time it Takes (Oct. 24)


"Take the time it takes so that it takes less time." ~Pat Parelli

This session wasn't outstanding or significant in any way. Avalon was spooky and gorgeous as always. I was still limping around with a broken finger. I considered tossing this post out or combining it with another. But it's so, so important to show these seemingly insignificant barn days. This is what horse training looks like, especially if you don't have a lot of free time. Days that are repetitive. Doing the same thing again. Learning the same lessons again. Checking and rechecking those basics. You have to put in all those boring, insignificant days in order to achieve the exciting breakthroughs and adventures.
Looks beautiful when she spooks.

Training is much easier with taped fingers that with the metal finger brace. I had some trouble with the tape tearing my skin, but otherwise I preferred this setup. 


The moment in the picture above was amazing. I let Avalon off of her lead rope and the first thing she did was walk over to the mounting block and start pawing it. I am in the process of teaching her to set her hoof on things. I used the mounting block and rewarded her with a treat whenever she touched it. Avalon is extremely food motivated. 

So. Pretty.
Although it is a long journey, full of steps forward and steps back, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love this beautiful horse. I love her spunk and energy. We get to build our confidence and skill together.

2 comments:

  1. Not all medical tapes are created equal! I love the more cloth type ones because they adhere well but not so well you tear up your skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to keep that in mind for next time!

      Delete