Monday, July 22, 2019

More of the Same


Look at my lady. So grown up in her saddle. I can't get over how calm she is in the arena when the lead rope is attached to her halter (even if it's tied to the saddle horn). As soon as I unclip it she runs around screaming for her friends. Usually I would find this disappointing. As Pat Parelli says, without the rope all you have left is the truth. However, only a few months ago she was running around calling for her buddies with the rope. I think that she equates the rope with a sort of  "work mode". Some day I hope that she wants to mentally connect with me, but for now I'm encouraged that she recognizes my leadership.


She continues to hold her head in a lower, more relaxed position.




This hindquarter yield is amazing! Look at how far underneath she steps with that inside hind!


More scratches! Also notice that the helmet was hung over the saddle horn the whole time for a little extra desensitization.


An awkward, half-out of frame but still adorable picture of Ava wearing my hat as I attempt to push her head toward the camera. 


We are continuing to practice rein aids with the long lines. I am asking more from her with each session. Overall, she is still doing well, but she is fighting the contact. Part of that is my fault, it's difficult to time releases when you're juggling ropes that long! I think we will both improve with practice. I'm keeping the sessions with long lines short to avoid frustration. Hopefully I can get some pictures or videos soon.

2 comments:

  1. She is growing up! Could the bit be bothering her? Either because of her teeth or the style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make sense, but I have been long lining her in a rope halter at first to avoid a bad first experience with the bit. She has worn headstalls with bits, but never experienced the aids with a bit.

      Delete