Monday, February 25, 2019

New Perspectives

This is a rambling post.

I am enjoying my equestrian class even more this semester than last semester. Partly because I love new experiences like riding in western tack. In the past, I never focused on my equitation when riding in a western saddle. Now I'm learning how to place my legs, how to sit the lope without flying around like a kite at the end of my stirrups, how long my reins should be. Today I was told that my reins were too long. I think that it's an improvement because the first day of class my instructor told me over and over to let go of my horse's head (english habits die hard). By the end of this semester, I will be introduced to teaching sliding stops and some cow work. Learning how to do those things has never even crossed my mind before!

Another reason I'm enjoying this class is that it's purpose is to train us to train horses. Of course, the instructor is also teaching us riders, but with the ultimate goal of being able to train horses. This is especially useful to me, because I want to be able to train horses in the saddle. I'm managed to teach myself groundwork skills with green and young horses. However, my equitation sucks. It's terrible. It's so so bad. And there is no chance that I will be able to teach myself how to ride well. That is much more difficult and dangerous than teaching myself groundwork techniques. This class is exactly what I need to learn how to ride in a way that trains the horse as well.

I also love the freedom in this class! I have half an hour to practice anything I want to practice, which usually means loping because I have the least experience with it. I have a horse that loves to go forward. The lessons aren't overly controlling and we aren't being babied. Every lab is a new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment