Saturday, October 24, 2020

What Comes Next?




I'm running out of time in Oregon. As the season ends, people start asking what comes next. It's a familiar question. I heard it during my senior year of high school and my senior year of college. This time, my answer is different. 

First, I don't owe anyone an explanation. When friends and family talked to me about the future after high school I believed that I had to have a plan and it had to make sense. I had to justify my choices to the nameless mob that asked about them. Not anymore. No one has anymore of a clue than anyone else. I don't owe an explanation to anyone.

Second, if the Lord wills I will live, and do this or that. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, let alone five years from now. Plans fail. People die. Dreaming and planning is hopeless and empty if I am not living right now, today, to my fullest ability. 


Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 

-from Philippians 1

2 comments:

  1. it sounds like you need some time to stop and reflect. that's not a bad thing. My daughter took a year in between high school and university. I think it was good for her to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we’re always deciding which path we will follow next, and there are always surprises along the way. I’ve always said I’m glad I don’t have a crystal ball. I’d probably have had a heart attack if God had shown me my future. But there was enough for each day, and looking back, it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete