Sunday, July 7, 2019

Bath Time

Look at those dapples!
Avalon doesn't love being sprayed with water (yet). While she isn't afraid of water, or spooky when I'm giving her a bath, she tolerates the hose with a sort of irritated disdain. The first time I hosed her down this summer, my hose was just little too short to reach her hindquarters on the far side. I used her agitated mood to my advantage. Every time she moved her body toward the water, I pointed the hose away. A few minutes later, she was side passing toward me.

I've been so blessed to own dapple greys. I LOVE them.
Looking shiny and clean!
I bathed Ava again a few days ago. It was 80-some degrees Fahrenheit without a hint of a breeze - not good weather for active training. She stood more calmly this time, so it looks like our training is paying off. Or she is learning to appreciated relief from the heat and bugs.




Of course, the next time I visited the barn her mane was already tangled and there was a new grass stain on her muzzle. 

2 comments:

  1. It takes a while to get used to the hose. Your method is working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was lucky, she came to me with pretty solid ground manners. The worst she does is walk away from the house...I know some finished horses that put up more of a fuss.

      Delete