Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Grey Arabian Question Mark (originally posted 6/20/18)

Anyone who entered the equestrian world through riding lessons, especially at a young age, holds fond memories of a lesson horse or two. For me, it was Mars. I don't know much about him. Just that he was a grey Arabian gelding and he made me feel safe. I've loved horses since I was eight, but I was terrified of them for many years. Something about Mars felt safe--like we were on the same team. 

Tycer (Or Ticer maybe? I never saw it in writing) was another childhood favorite. He wasn't a lesson horse; he belonged to a family friend. I wasn't taking lessons at the time, just cruising around the fields bareback. Tycer was probably the horse that taught me how to ride. 
And there was Tango who belonged to the same family as Tycer. 
And Sam (who may not have been Arabian but was certainly grey).
And Gambler, my own half-Arabian dream come true. 

What do all of those horses have in common? They were all grey Arabian geldings. Most of them are dead now. Mars died in a tragic trail riding accident, Tycer died of old age, Gambler colicked. For some time I have been searching for a new horse. I knew what I wanted. Something young, unstarted or very green, and full of attitude. 


I might have a thing for grey Arabians.

No comments:

Post a Comment