Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Experimenting (originally posted 8/26/18)

My tentative plan for Avalon this year was to set a solid foundation. When I bought her, she had been handled since a foal; bridled, saddled, and introduced to some basic groundwork. However, she was completely unfamiliar with natural horsemanship and had not actually been ridden. I planned to introduce her to my methods of groundwork and put a couple low-key rides on her. Then next spring/summer I wanted to start her in earnest, teaching her to properly carry herself and a rider at all three gaits.

So far I have followed the plan. Avalon is learning the seven games. She understands the rider's cues to walk on, stop, turn, and yield her hindquarters. Whether or not she follows that direction. . .typical dominant baby behavior. She stands, takes a few steps, stops. Once she laid down while I was in the saddle. I jumped off (would have preferred to stay on but didn't realize what she was doing at first) smacked her butt until she got up, and got back on. Just a baby testing her boundaries. She hasn't tried it again. 

I have shifted my attention back to groundwork and communication. Riding is for another day when I have a solid seat and my horse has solid knees. I'll probably put a couple more very chill rides at the walk during the fall and winter, but nothing past walk, stop, turn, back up. 

In the meanwhile, I am focusing on ground manners and emotional maturity. Avalon is nowhere near as spooky as Gamby was. She does seem to be getting herd bound. When she realizes her friends aren't around and she is in an unfamiliar situation she goes back to blowing me off and rearing. Definitely something to work on. I've also been experimenting with clicker training, but that is another post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment