Sunday, June 30, 2019

The MN Horse Expo: Haul

The MN Horse Expo was nearly two months ago, but I can't pass the opportunity to show off the items I purchased! I only bought one new item, long lines. I bought a pair of driving reins about a year ago, but they are too short to be much use - unless I want to stand directly behind my horses's back legs. I've been eyeing prices online, so when I found a cheaper pair at the expo I jumped on the opportunity. Not to mention, I didn't have to pay shipping. I've used them a couple times, but no pictures yet. 

Driving reins coiled on the right.
In the photo above, you see the Parelli halter I've had for years and attached to it, a brand new (well, to me) Parelli lead rope. It's definitely in rough shape, but even well used, the quality is exceptional. Parelli lead ropes and halters are my absolute favorite. Since they are crazy overpriced, tack swaps are the way to go.

I scoured the halter section of the huge 4H tack swap for anything that resembled Parelli brand tack. I didn't care if it was the right size - if it's Parelli and only $5-$20 I'm going to buy it! I found a Parelli hackamore set for about $20. I had no clue whether it would fit or not, but if it didn't I could remove the 22' lead from the halter it was tied to. After doing some research, I discovered the hackamore is one size fits all. And it fits!

It fits better than my other halter.


The last item I purchased was a halter. It does not fit my horse, since it is pony/weanling sized. I guess there must be some baby horses in my future?


I already have a pony/weanling sized Parelli halter from when I used to ride a pony. I may or may not have a halter hoarding problem . . . but someday I plan on having horses to fill them all. Maybe not all at the same time. We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. Finding good stuff second hand or at a major mark down is always so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re smart to buy good used tack. Some of it is very high priced new, but lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete