Friday, October 26, 2018

Unexpected

I love those days, when you get to the barn with no expectations. Maybe you have a tentative plan, an idea for training. When you drive up to the barn feeling meh, and then you leave with a huge smile on your face.

Today was one of those days. Lately, I've been teaching Avalon how to stay calm enough to warm up and carry herself properly on a circle. I'm about to switch focus soon, because circles aren't good for young horse joints. However, for now I am cuing her into a working walk by clucking consistently with her inside hind leg. At first this made her want to trot, but today she was really getting it! She was exhibiting a good, forward working walk - stepping under herself and lowering her head. I even introduced the concept a little at the trot.

On top of this, another boarder was out with his gelding, a four year old Rocky Mountain Horse. Ava was distracted, but came back to me when I asked her to focus. It was nice to see that even for all of Avalon's problem areas, she has come a long way in a few months. It's so easy for me to miss all of her little improvements!

I'm so thankful for my little filly.

No comments:

Post a Comment